I have been wanting to learn PowerShell for a while now and one of the guys in the #alt.net irc channel talks about it all the time. So I decided to give it another shot. The first thing I wanted to do was write a Hello World script that just out put that text to the screen running form a script file. It wasn't so easy to figure it out believe it or not and there wasn't a good Hello World tutorial on the net I could find. Finally, after a while of just trying stuff and following half instructions I figured out how to get a script to run.
First though you need to Download PowerShell. Please follow that how-to on downloading PowerShell.
After powershell is installed open up the powershell command window and notepad. I'm not going to go into the why of powershell here because honestly I don't know yet. Instead i'll give you quick instructions for writing a script that will run.
- In notepad type out the following ( Write-Output "Hello World" ) without the parenthasis
- Save file as HelloWorld.ps1
- Switch to PowerShell command window
- Navigate to the folder you saved the file in ( I just used C:\ to keep it easy at first )
- Execute the following command: Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned (reduces security until you increase it. There is a very annoying security policy in place for just dev work)
- Next is to run the script just d: ./HelloWorld.ps1
It should have spit out Hello World do the console. Congrats you just did a hello world script in powershell