For GoDjango I like to use HTML5 video playback for all the screencasts, but unfortunately there isn’t a good standard video type for playback. Generally MP4 (h.264) works fine for mobile devices, chrome, safari, and IE. However, for Firefox, my browser of choice, you need to have either Webm or Ogg Vorbis. I ended up choosing Webm and it bit me in the butt until I figured out the mimetypes weren’t set correctly since webm is a fairly new file format compared to others.
Make sure your mime types are correct.
If your files are hosted on Amazon S3 your webm files are probably set to octet/stream. Here are the steps to change them to video/webm
- Log into your AWS Management Console for S3
- Choose the bucket your video is in
- Right Click on the video and click properties
- In the area that opens at the bottom of the page select the Metadata tab
- For the Content-Type key click on the value text box next to it
- Type in “video/webm” without quotes
- Then hit save at the bottom
Lets say you are hosting the video files on your own server, but they still are working. Chances are the mimetype is still wrong and we just need to add them. If you are using apache then either add a .htaccess file or edit the current one with the following:
AddType video/webm .webm
- Open IIS Manager and navigate tot he level you want to manage
- In Features View, double click MIME Types
- In the Actions pain click Add
- In the Add MIME Type dialog box, add .webm
- In the MIME Type text box add: video/webm
- Click Ok
Hopefully that helps some of you out there who are facing the same issue I did. If you find any other solutions please let me know.